I am going to go out on a limb

A couple of days ago I posted about the innovations made in brain scanning or more specific Bio sensor and signal processing systems.

Wearable devices will be the norm for film and video crews. A combo, Light/Color Temp/Volt/Ohm/Amp/Phone/Monitor/Computer meter? Maybe

I can see a best boy with a handheld or wearable, taking care or all the paperwork, inventory (RFID) and set requirements (power distro and load - yup RFID and IP addressable equipment), The gaffer using the Bio Sensor to THINK the rough in and the DP to THINK the TWEEK. Sound far fetched? Think I'm daft? Read on.

Lighting is changing. LED and DMX. It is a no brainer. Speech recognition software is on the desktop. It is not a big leap to have lighting units that use speech commands. "Unit A3, full spot. dim 11% pan right 3 degrees, tilt up 22 degrees." I was reading the gaffer's or DP's mind (ok more anticipation but still reading body language and KNOWING the groove that develops on set) in order to be on top of the game. The bio sensor is where I would be putting my money (if I had any left). It may not happen as fast as I'd like. It will happen.

I have business ideas all the time. I have big ideas for the film/video business. If anyone reading this has known me longer then 5 years they will remember my Behind the Scene Services and Low Voltage Lighting/Video Assist systems. I was a bit too far ahead for my own good.

The Stage of the future will be almost fully automated. No doubt. The grid will be unlike anything we know today. Adjustments will be made by the DP, Gaffer, Key Grip from the Camera position using either a small handheld or THINKING/MOVEMENT sensors. Intelligent Lighting is used in theatre and touring already.

Many jobs will be lost and many more will morph into new departments or be consolidated. Video Assist, Visual Effects and the Editing department will likely become the responsibility of one department in a seamless process. Many of the web's unknown unsung innovators have already tested this.

3D holographic monitors will allow a kind of Matrix or Minority Report computer interaction. For example Point to a virtual 12k HMI and pan-tilt-flood-spot-dim-scrim-gel or elevate.


At the end of each take or the end each day, every piece of equipment used will feed simultaneously to the script supervisor, AC and every department that opts for the relevant data. Every light, camera, grip, set piece/dressing and prop will dump it's location (GPS/RFID). A lighting unit will transfer all the data (gel, spot- flood settings and where it was focused. A prop that was handled and part of a HOT SET if moved between takes will notify the script supervisor BEFORE THE TAKE.

Robots too will be on set, replacing Stands, Crank-o-vators, and Cine-vators. Head and grip carts will be motorized and likely double as a power source. Other departments (Camera, Transpo, Greens, Props etc.. will be using Robots. The Dolly will be fully automated and offer features that may even eliminate most of the job a Dolly Grip performs. Infrared and Motion detection will track a actor's moves. The dolly grip will be more programmer / electronics tech.

I could go on and on. I could provide links to the technology that is already developed to try to persuade those reading this blog that these ideas are all doable NOW.

Of course this is my opinion. Others may disagree.

What I plan to do is blog about this at least twice a month. Hope you enjoy. And if you agree or disagree, please feel free to voice it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Laptop per Child & Why (Fi) Sprint & Clearwire

"Playing For Change: Peace Through Music"